Things in the henhouse changed practically overnight when McDonald’s announced in 1999 that it would no longer buy eggs from producers who didn’t meet its guidelines for care of chickens. Those guidelines included limiting the 1 of birds that could be kept in one 2 and prohibiting beak removal, 3 trimming just the tips.
Once McDonald’s had 4 the way in issuing animal care guidelines for the company’s suppliers, many other giants of the fast-food industry rapidly followed 5 , including Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Wendy’s, A and W and KFC. Now, the American Meat Institute has 6 welfare guidelines and audit 7 for cattle, pigs, and chickens. And the European Union, representing our foreign customers, is also 8 in with, among other things, legislation banning. 9 use of crates to house pregnant sows, 10 in 2013.
Questions about animal care 11 with the explosive growth in large-scale livestock farms, 12 spurred customers to complain about animals being treated as “factory parts”. That spurred ARS and the livestock industry to take a proactive approach to addressing animal 13 issues, making sure that guidelines are based on facts 14 through scientific research. The goal is to share research findings with the retail food industry and others so that the livestock industry can improve its 15 guidelines.
Ten years ago, to 16 these concerns, ARS started a research program on livestock behavior and stress. The scientists involved were tasked with finding out whether modern farming practices were 17 stressing animals. And if so, could scientific methods be developed to measure this stress so that 18 could be evaluated objectively rather than subjectively?
A decade later, the 19 answer is “yes” to both questions, Many had expected the answer to be “no” on both counts, but science works independently 20 people’s opinions.
1. A. amountB. number C. figureD. sum
2. A. cageB. caveC. caseD. cart
3. A. but forB. except forC. aside fromD. away from
4. A. pavedB. changedC. ledD. opened
5. A. suitB. stepC. setD. super
6. A. adaptedB. adopted C. approvedD. accepted
7. A. bookletsB. pamphletsC. brochuresD. checklists
8. A. measuringB. weighingC. consideringD. thinking
9. A. prolongedB. proceededC. programmedD. progressed
10. A. efficientB. effectiveC. effusiveD. elective
11. A. raisedB. roseC. aroseD. pose
12. A. who B. whatC. whichD. how
13. A. health B. lifeC. wealthD welfare
14. A. decidedB. determinedC. provedD. tested
15. A. voluntaryB. revolutionaryC. preliminaryD. necessary
16. A. expressB. addressC. suppress D. compress
17. A. unduly B. unequallyC. unfortunatelyD. unfavorably
18. A. performancesB. programsC. problems D. practices
19. A. sequentialB. initialC. essentialD. financial
20. A. ofB. onC. byD. with
- 2022考研英语真题：历年高频词汇解析(十) 01-19
- 2022考研英语真题：历年高频词汇解析(九) 01-19
- 2022考研英语真题：历年高频词汇解析(八) 01-19
- 2022考研英语真题：历年高频词汇解析(七) 01-19
- 2022考研英语真题：历年高频词汇解析(六) 01-19
- 2022考研英语真题：历年高频词汇解析(五) 01-19
- 2022考研英语真题：历年高频词汇解析（四） 01-19
- 2022考研英语真题：历年高频词汇解析（三） 01-18
- 2022考研英语真题：历年高频词汇解析（二） 01-18
- 2022考研英语真题：历年高频词汇解析（一） 01-18
- 考研英语1999年阅读真题精讲Passage-1（1） 09-18
- 考研英语1999年阅读真题精讲Passage-1（2） 09-18
好轻松考研专注于国内大学生高端考研培训。以“高能高分”为教育理念，倡导考生遵循学习的基本规律，稳扎稳打，以轻松的心态来学习。好轻松考研以“学术、励志、激情”为教学风格，倡导教师学术过硬，注重鼓励引导，充满激情的为考生授课。好轻松考研以独创英语学习领域 4R 个性化培训为服务体系，确保考生达成理想的学习效果。
考研师资团 更多师资 >
新航道好轻松考研学术专家。上世纪八十年代北京师范大学翻译 学硕士，曾任国际关系学院副教授，有 30 多年的英语教学与翻译经验， 曾多次被评为优秀教师；出版著作与译作 10 多部；1997 年开始从事 考研培训，对考研英语有深入独到的研究，并曾多次参加全国硕士研 究生英语试卷阅卷工作；独创考研英语“四步定位翻译法”、“词汇四通 记忆法”等，著有《考研英语十年真题点石成金》《考研英语核心词汇 笔记》《考研英语英译汉四步定位翻译法》等畅销书。